2.09.2009

Shameless plug.


This piece is just a little something that I threw together for a lark. It was inspired by a podcast that I follow somewhat religiously. What's the podcast, you ask? Well, let me tell you a little about it, if I may. (I'm going on the assumption that I'm not talking to myself, by the way. I'd like to think I'm not.)

The podcast is called "The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe." Now, if you're at all like me, you'll be outraged. The apostrophe is clearly in the wrong place, but this has been mentioned to the hosts of the show and there ensued a long, several page semantic argument that was only interesting to the grammar nazis of the podcast's forum. I'll spare you the tedium and simply related the results: the apostrophe stays in the wrong place.

Anyway, the pic was created in Photoshop, using a picture of a slice of bread and the face of the great, the skeptical, the infamous Dr. Steven Novella. He hosts the Skeptics' Guide with his two brothers, Bob and Jay, along with their friends Rebecca Watson and Evan Bernstein. The podcast is great, everyone should already be listening to it, blah blah blah.

The picture was created as a parody of the phenomenon of pareidolia. Pareidolia is everywhere and is fun when you know what's going on. It's what people are actually experiencing when they see the Virgin Mary on toast, or Allah written in a bagel.

1 comment: