2.10.2009

More.

Well, thanks to my relative laziness, I seemed to have missed a couple of slightly important things in my Art History class. Hoorah. I also get to work in a group with other people, which I detest being forced to do. I don't mind working with people, except the part where I have to work with people. Especially college students who may or may not be invested in the class. Or college students who are just as busy as I am. However, my boss is being nice and I've got a stretch of three days off, without loosing any hours. So at the very least, I should be able to not only keep up with my homework, but enjoy some relax time.

But I didn't just want to gripe about how hard and difficult my life is (or isn't), I'd like to share some more of my previous works.



This is a sketch from a few years ago, I think. Or maybe from last year. I should try to keep these things straight.

Anyway, it's another of my friends, and if I remember correctly, I did this sketch on the sly. Take that modesty! Portraits and the human figure are my favorite kind of art, at least my favorite kind of art that I like to do. Other people's portraiture and figure drawings are nice, but I just absolutely love the experience of drawing the human figure. It's personal without having to actually interact with a person.

I especially like that you're able to capture both the person that you're drawing, and part of your own self when you do draw someone. I don't mean that in a spiritual, namby-pamby, "essence of art" kind of way, I mean that any time that an artist, or anyone, really, sits down to draw something, they are attempting to communicate their own experience with others.

When you're doing portraiture, it gets a bit more complicated than if you're drawing a cup, for instance, because when you're doing a portrait, you're trying to communicate the character or personality of the person whom you are drawing. (Did I use whom correctly? Anyway.) But even when you try to strictly stick to the person in front of you, it's that person as you see them. It's what you see in that person that you're drawing, and what you see in the person that you're drawing is unique to you. Five thousand other people can draw the person that you just drew, and everyone of them will be unique.

The whole snowflake thing that gets thrown around applies here. It's not because the person who is being subjected to the pressures of 5001 people drawing her/him, although I'm sure that would be a bit unnerving, it's that each of those people will have a different subjective experience of the subject that they're drawing. While subjectivity can be abused (a lot), it does have it's place when you're viewing any art, or when you're creating any art. Who you are as a person is reflected in what you see in art or what you put into your art.

I could go on for much longer than this, I'm sure, but I'll just leave it at that. Look at my art and be astounded! You're interpreting my art through your collective experiences from your life and my art is a reflection of my collective experiences in my life! Isn't it just grand?

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the above completely makes sense, but I don't care! Ok, I kind of care. Not enough to edit anything, though.

1 comment:

  1. In their respective topic paragraphs, the Wikipedia articles about either the accusative or the dative case of the English language will explain why you used "whom" correctly.

    ReplyDelete