2.09.2009

Midterm project, oh joy

So, midterms are here, and it would seem that I only have one midterm this quarter. This makes me terribly pleased with the universe.

This is a sketch, fairly complete, of a friend of mine - who heroically allowed me to take pictures of her. There were a couple which would have worked well for this project, but I had to chose only one.

The project is just your basic "draw a face using pen strokes" assignment. I'm using loose cross-hatching. I'll be damned if I do another stippling project. I'd rather set myself on fire, really.

But since I haven't set myself on fire (yet), I should probably add that I used Photoshop and my beautiful, lovely, wonderful Wacom tablet. As I said in my write-up for the assignment, I feel more confident using Photoshop. Besides, part of the assignment was to trace the image, and I don't actually have access to a good preinter. Or a light table.

2 comments:

  1. First of all I hear you about Stippling, I have a life size portrait of Jimi Hendrix that I've been working on for 10 years, and I Haven't touch it in a couple of years.

    Second, that is a awesome piece, but if I were to make one small critique I would lessen the hatching on the face, to give more of a contrast between her face and her hair. But regardless, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Parrish:

    yeah, i had the same idea about the face. it's still in progress, though. i need to darken the hair, the shirt and sorta re-work the face.

    also, tracing is the best thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete