3.04.2009

Brain bucket.





I love this doodle. It's from a thumbnail sketch for a magazine layout I did for my Graphic Design drawing class. (I'll post both versions of the thumbnail, to give it the proper context.)

I've also been seriously thinking about having my subject matter concentrate on science themes, such as biology, astronomy, chemistry, physics. The reason behind this is that I know that there is a lot of scientific misunderstanding out there, and not just with complex ideas like quantum mechanics or planetary dynamics. Basic stuff like what the electromagnetic spectrum is and what it means for something to "radiate electromagnetic radiation." Or what causes the seasons. Or the basic premises behind evolution (such as really small changes add up over really long periods of geological time).

I don't know how well I can actually relate knowledge through my images, but I hope that at the very least, I can "plant the seeds" of excitement about science. I came to the excitement about science relatively late in my life. Ok, I'm still young, but I've only been really interested in science and the knowledge that can come from science within the last year or so. Maybe the last two years... I forget.

I think excitement about science is integral for the success of science. Not just for the pros, but for the success of science in the greater public. The more interested and engaged people are with a certain subject, the more they'll reinforce their interest. That's one of the ways that people learn, I think, and art inspires people really well. It's something that most people can relate to and something that most people have in their lives, whether they know it or not. (I'm talking about the visual arts, not music, and not TV or movies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment