12.17.2009

End of the quarter semi-wrap-up.


This was my last project for my ART 86 class. It was done in Corel Painter, as was every other assignment for that class.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. I'm sure that surprises everyone, but I think the style especially is really strong. The sketchiness of it suits me, I think. I used techniques that I learned in a previous class, and I think I was able to use those lessons well in this piece.

I think my favorite part of this is the minimal color I used. It really adds to the mood of the piece and creates interest in the figure, which of course is important.

I've noticed that the ledge that the figure is standing on isn't as finished as it could be. I think I'll work on it - I think I know why it sticks out to me, so I should be able to fix it. I won't be able to start on my gifts until Sunday anyway.

Speaking of Christmas gifts, I'm really excited about the screen printing kit that I bought in SF. Not only can I print on fabric, I'll be able to do prints on paper. I'm hoping that I'll be able to start my own mini-business using this kit - as well as making linocut printed shirts. I have some images of the linocut printed shirts, I think, and if I don't I'll take some. The two that I did turned out really well and I enjoyed making them, which is very important.

I think this is the first time I've actually taken something that I've learned in one of my classes and taken it outside of the classroom. The first time I've been able to use what I've learned in one of my classes practically, any way. Sure I can draw and use Illustrator and paint, but printing really engages me. I never would have guessed it, to be honest. I think it's a combination of using my hands, being able to use sharp objects, and being able to make messes.


Here's one of the shirts that I printed using screen printing techniques - it has been by far the most popular print I've done, and that means a lot to me. Not only are people giving me compliments, but I'm able to engage people on science. I was able to do that with the other science-based art I did for my printing class - I think I did a post about that design. If I did, I'll add a link to that post. Edit: Here's the link.

I hope that I have time before school starts to print one of these E coli shirts for myself - the above is a small and thus only fit for tiny people.

I'll try to post some images of my printing process for my Christmas gifts - I've already taken some pics of the first design I've done. (It's an ice cream cone. :D) Note to self: Screen filler is difficult to use. And kind of frustrating to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment